Get Credit Reports

Getting Your Credit Report

If you've been denied credit, insurance, or employment because of information supplied by a CRA, the FCRA says the company you applied to must give you the CRA's name, address, and telephone number. If you contact that agency for a copy of your report within 60 days of receiving a denial notice, the report is free. In addition, you're entitled to one free copy of your report per year if you can prove that:

  • You're unemployed and plan to look for a job within 60 days.
  • You're on welfare.
  • Your report is inaccurate because of fraud.
  • Otherwise, a CRA may charge you for a copy of your report. If you simply want to purchase a copy of your report, call the CRAs listed in the Yellow Pages under "credit" or "credit rating and reporting". Call each credit bureau listed since more than one agency may have a file on you, some with different information. The three major national credit bureaus are: Equifax: (800) 685-1111 Experian (formerly TRW): (888) 397-3742 Trans Union: (800) 916-8800